This is the time of year where people make lots of resolutions to change something about themselves. Often time’s people give up on these plans by March. This year will be different. No matter what this year’s resolution is, here are some tips to keep you on track.
- Be realistic! Don’t set yourself up for failure by picking a goal you can’t actually attain. Pick something you can see yourself doing, not something you wish you could do, but know in your heart you actually can’t.
- Focus on small daily or weekly goals that will help you achieve your overall goal. For example, if you resolve to lose 20lbs, don’t focus on the number 20. Instead, think this week I will lose a half a pound. Then make a plan that will help you achieve that goal such as logging your food every day and working out 4 times that week.
- Get a support system. Tell people what your resolution is and ask them to help keep you on track.
- Keep a journal to help you keep track of your progress, success, and setbacks. Be sure to include your feelings about the process in the journal so you can go back and have them as a reference. Use the journal to see how your feelings relate to the progress you are making or the setbacks you are having.
- Above all remember: experts say it takes 21 days for a new activity to become a habit and 6 months for it to become a part of your personality (www.life.gaiam.com/10-tip-help-you-keep-your-new-years-resolution). So stick with it and don’t give up!
Sophie Pratola 704-604-1518 Personally Trained By Sophie
New Year’s resolution, weight loss, be healthy stay fit, keeping your resolution, personal trainer