If you fail to plan, plan to fail.  Jillian Michaels hit the nail on the head when she said this during an episode of Biggest Loser.  The fact of the matter is planning is 60% of the battle; the other 40% is actually following thru with your plan.  So what do you need to plan?  Here is a little list that ought to help.

-Plan your meals for the week.  Know what you are eating for dinner and take the meat out of the freezer and put it into the fridge the night before so it will be mostly defrosted when you are ready to use it.  Plan a meal with a lean protein source and a veggie.  Skip the starchy side, you won’t miss it.

-Plan your day’s worth of food (breakfast, lunch and snacks) and make sure you have all the ingredients on hand so you don’t have to run to the store unexpectedly.

-Plan for the unexpected.  Plan on getting stuck in traffic or in a line somewhere.  Keep a bottle of water and a 100 calorie snack such as almonds with you either in your purse or car.

-Plan your workouts for the week.  Know what days you are working out and what days you are resting.  Also, know what times you are working out that will work with your schedule.

-Plan your workout before you start it.  Know what your plan is for the day in the gym.

-Plan for active time on your rest days.

-Plan on having days where it all goes south and then realize it’s OK because tomorrow is a new day with a new plan.

Finally, once you have your plan in place follow through!  A plan is useless if you don’t use it.


Sophie Pratola


Personally Trained By Sophie