Halloween is the official kick off of the holiday season. Did you know the average American gains between 7 and 12 pounds between Halloween and New Years? Here are some tips for keeping your waist line in check during Halloween.
- Watch portion sizes: There is no such thing as a bad food as long as you keep how much of it you are eating in check. The fun size treats are a great way to get a portion controlled satisfying treat.
- Make a plan: pick one or two of the candies you really like instead of grabbing a handful of ones you marginally like.
- Avoid all or nothing mentality: it will lead to feelings of deprivation and eventual bingeing. If you blow it one day remember tomorrow is a new day and get back on track.
- Buy Halloween candy you don’t like: You can donate the leftovers to a good cause, or instead of buying candy, buy small non food toys/goodies. As a bonus, they don’t go bad so you can use the leftovers next year.
- When snacking pick low calorie alternatives to candy: Try trail mix, popcorn, or pretzels.
- Pick healthier candy for your treat bowl: here is a list of 5 of the more sinister pieces of candy and alternatives:
- o Instead of Butterfinger fun size bar try 3 Musketeers fun size bar
- o Instead of 3 Airheads try 3 Dum Dum Pops
- o Instead of 3 Twix Miniatures try 3 Tootsie Rolls
- o Instead of 4 Brach’s Milk Maid Caramels try 4 pieces of Now and Later
- o Instead of A Reese’s Pumpkin try 11 pieces of Candy Corn
Personally Trained By Sophie, LLC